Vantrue F1 dashcam install Goldwing 2023

I installed the Vantrue Falcon 1 motorcycle dash cam on Sherbert the Goldwing 2023 today. It took a while longer than I expected, and when you consider my learning to strip a part or two, then that's OK.

If you are an expert with the Goldwing's skins, then you can take much less time. This walk through will help too.

Research

Before running any cables I watched the following three YouTube videos from Chris Dickman, Robert White, and Larry Ryan.

Chris Dickman (Cruiseman's Garage)

Chris highlighted the need to mount the camera off-center to avoid being struck by the front fender.


Robert White

Robert installed the rear camera on the licence plate light cover. He drilled a hole for the cable off to the left of the cover and taped the cable to the rear fender. I didn't like that bit although he does give the best hint on "finding daylight" to run the cable. At the front however, Robert gave the clues needed to route the cable along the underside of the middle cowl.


Larry Ryan (Goldwing Moments)

#105 VANTRUE F1 Dash Cam. Yes or No?
Larry of Goldwing Moments improved the rear camera install. He drilled a hole on top of the licence plate light cover for the cable. This needed the removal of the lamp and presto, there's space to drill and hide the cable.

Planning and preparation

I planned to combine Robert's and Larry's techniques to improve the aesthetic outcome.

With Sherbert's seat removed, I unboxed the device and connected all the cables. It's the first accessory and the ACC terminal is not hard to find in the fuse box near the battery.

Setup

Next, I followed the Vantrue app's instructions to update the Wi-Fi password and review the camera output. The little lady secreted in the remote reminded me I hadn't loaded an SD card, which I'll come back to momentarily.

Camera placement

With the camera previews on my phone, I adjusted where to mount the cameras to avoid the underside of the trunk and front lights.

Control box placement

In the comments following Robert's video. someone mentioned installing the control box in the truck. A video (I can't recall which) showed a similar install with all the spare cables stashed under the carpet. Horrible. The trunk is for luggage and maybe the control box-not all those cables? The video usefully showed a hole for the USB cable on the DCT Airbag version's trunk. It's big enough for all the Vantrue F1 cables to pass through. Cool.

Remote control

Dry-fitting the remote control took a lot of time. Robert has a ball mount to stick it to and I don't. Nor do I want or need one. Others have adhered the thing to the console and it looks awful. If I want to tap a button then I'd prefer not to be looking down there. I settled for the left handlebar and facing away. The lights won't be in my face all the while and it's an easy reach for the left hand.

Fitting the rear camera

Running the rear camera cable

Following Robert's hint, the first try at running the cable entered the wheeel space. I didn't fancy entanglement with the drive wheel and on the second try, the cable ran outside the mud guard. It finished close to the original cables and that made a tidy job ready to connect the camera to.

back of bike

cables

Mounting the rear camera

  1. Remove the rear fender.
  2. Remove the licence plate lamp access panel.
  3. Mark up where to drill the hole and drill.
  4. Pass the cable through the hole.
  5. Fix the camera.
  6. Reinstall the licence plate lamp access panel.
  7. Connect the camera and lamp cables.
  8. Refit the rear fender (don't bolt it on just yet).
Note: I didn't fit a grommet. I'd like to fit one and I don't think it's actually necessary. The lamp is well protected from the weather and cow poo can get in that spot already.

cables in the rear fender

Fitting the front camera

I didn't need to drill as Robert did. I found the cable can pass between over the flexible inner cowl instead.

Caution: I mounted the camera very close to the inner cowl upper bolt hole. Beware!
  1. Remove the middle cowl.
  2. Run the extension cable up under the light cluster and pass it past the shelter (tank).
  3. Follow Robert's lead in passing it beneath a bolt.
  4. Run the cable sensibly to the trunk.
  5. Fit the camera in position.
  6. Pass the camera cable over the inner cowl and connect to the extension cable.
  7. Tidy the cable up.
Note that the camera view can be turned upside-down with a setting in the app. There's no need to rotate the camera. One of the screws wouldn't bite.

inner cowl and front camera

Under the middle cowl

the front camera and hex key

Fitting the remote

  1. Identify the remote's position on the left handlebar.
  2. Run the cable to the pillar cover and slip it under the cover with existing cables.
  3. Tie the cable to the existing cables.
  4. Run the cable under the shelter along the tank.
  5. Run the cable sensibly over the battery and on to the trunk.
  6. Check and double check the steering is unaffected.
  7. Zip tie the remote to the handlebar by snaking the tie through the cables entering the bar at the top.
Note that you could run the cable under the cable cover and I found it was already at capacity. The remote cable is pretty thick.

handlebars

Fitting the control box

At first I installed the box low in the trunk so the connectors were under the seat. This limited placement of the box and leaves the connectors open to water ingress down the back of the seat.
  1. Pass all four cables from the back of the bike through the hole in the bottom left of the trunk.
  2. Affix hook and loop tape to the back of the control box. I left the cover on.
  3. Affix the control box to the top left of the trunk.
  4. Attach the cables.
  5. Pull spare cable back into the under seat compartment and tidy them up.
inside rear trunk

Final tidy

  1. Bundled the stripped power cables and covered them in insulation tape to give them protection.
  2. Tied or hid all cables to be safe.
  3. Rolled up the spare cable and checked the seat would not foul the coils.
  4. Turned on the ignition and checked the bike, Vantrue F1, and app all operated.
  5. Checked the camera views and adjusted the verticals views.
  6. Replaced the middle cowl, side covers, and seat.
  7. Bolted on the rear fender.
front of bike




handlebars

Summary

This project took me way too long. Now I know what I am doing I could complete the job within 90 minutes. Hopefully this write up will help to prepare you for your own project with the Vantrue Falcon 1!

Comment how you get on and where to improve the steps.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Picking up Sherbert

28 February - Jammed Screen Blues