Quick Detour

My Son had been nagging us to get his bikes to his Aunt's so we surly loaded up his KX85 and CRF100 on the trailer and gave him an afternoon out on an airstrip's apron. He was timid on his Honda fist time round and reluctant to have another scoot so I placed some items out to lay out a circuit around which he happily navigated.

His Aunt and I meanwhile blatted around on the '85 and I explored the powerband, which felt like riding the CB1000F the other day; fun but too soon "done that".

My Son got quicker; and started to worry me. His circuits got more and more extended and we realised this is because he's still not using brakes!

On the return leg to his Aunt's my Son asked when we were going to take Shadowfax out together again. With all this commuting I've had little energy for such treats and my fear factor of falling with him on board is very strong.

I just can't imagine crawling over to him if he was hurt through being on the bike with me. It's too painful even to contemplate. He's only 10 and has so much ahead of him. That said, I'm keen that where he can't experience many of the childhood freedoms that I enjoyed I should compensate with some kind of stimulation for the adrenals.

"Okay", I said. "Soon". A non-commital but open obligation.

My Son came home with me and we left the women to their own entertainment while we returned to feed the menagerie and sort out some 'stuff' I should be doing but can't get into. DIY mainly.

I decided to look at what kids gear Hein Gericke have in Pompey. It'd be useful if my Son came too, of course. Mounted up we set off in high
temperatures. "Are we taking the Motorway?" He asked. Hmm. The Motorway is a dangerous place but the Pompey roads can be pretty dicey, too. I decided to play it by ear and Shadowfax kind of guided us onto the M27.



Once we'd tip-toed to Fratton we parked up and I checked on my Son's omforts. He was quite relaxed and told me he enjoyed the M-way despite the high winds. He was worried about being blown off his seat y trucks in particular. We'd fitted the top box so at least I knew he had some security and I know he holds onto the passenger grips so I reassured him it was unlikely and tripped into the shop.

The manager and assistant were quick to say hello, which ordinarily I find bothersome when you've just entered the domain and haven't had a chance to organise yourself yet but a good approach weadled out that I was looking for junior gear for the sprog. His Moto-x riding gear confused them but unfortunately the was nothing for him there.

I took to looking at Gortex jackets. My Behring Tornado jacket has done okay for the year but if the wet liner isn't in it I chance getting wet. If it's in I chance over heating. I'd like a Gortex that could be worn thru summer but the Behring is a good summer jacket so that's no deal breaker.

The manager gave me the opportunity to look and try on a couple of jackets from a Tricky 2 and 3 to a high-viz masterpiece that only leaves me wondering if I really want eternal day- glo everytime I dismount. One expensive "pro" jacket looked very middleaged but was pretty trick at £470!

We also looked at the Shoeberth helmets, again at £470. The manager could only point at the better quality and sound proofing as reason for their expense, which I took as being a little lame but I already know you get what you pay for! Also, I learned they make BMW helmets and they're meant to be pretty reasonable. It's a lot of money, though, even if the manager (and my wife) point to the number of miles I acheive each day.

Sure, I'm not driving a car but Shadowfax has still cost a fair deal to get up and going as well as to run. He's cost near £3500 this year already and no with account the insurances and losses on Phut-Phut and Dilbert. Ka insists I'd not work in Reading without a bike so that justifies the expense. I should be happy of her support but I still confuse my motivation to ride: frugality or to get me out of the car.

In the end we spent 2 hours in the shop, my Son playing the available PlayStation and me dreaming through the quality kit. We bade farewell and promised a drink to the little one. A mystery tour.

We wove out of the building traffic and back onto the M27 East skipping on to the A23M North toward Petersfield. I knew Queen Elizabeth Country Park to have a cafe so headed for it. It was pretty blowy but I chose to keep below 70mph anyway. Still it was rough. On a bump I noted my Son's knee to come up: later he explained the bump had taken him by surprise and as with me in Alton the other day had pulled a muscle in his neck.


A welcome tea and Fanta bolstered our resolve and being nearly tea time we clearly needed to make tracks for home. We dipped down the A272 passing a fellow ST leading a training bike before scooting past Loomies on our Southern intersection with my beloved A32. We deviated through Bishops Waltham before plugging into Fareham and extraordinarily quiet evening traffic.

Dismounted my Son complained loudly of his Achilles tendonitis playing up - confirming, I think that his All Star moto-x boots agrevate his heel. That aside he was beaming ear to ear and swaggering into the house with his gear.

We'd been out for nearly 6-hours and I've successfully built his endurance - heels aside. I think the next trip will involve a ride somewhere to camp but we still have the problem of buying him some quality kit (at reasonable cost given the rarity of our outings).

Best of all, even above his smiles, was that Shadowfax and I had enjoyed a fun day out, too. It's difficult to remember at times while we're working that we can still have fun together, too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Picking up Sherbert

28 February - Jammed Screen Blues

EZ-bags and Red tape