Not what I expect from BMW

Leaky helmet


The BMW Mororrad System 6 day-glo yellow modular helmet is a really superb piece of kit. I've grown quite attached to its colour and the modular feature (being able to open the chin and visor) is already proving useful. Head shake at speed, although not entirely subduing Shadowfax's buffeting, is a huge leap forward and with my ear plugs in its almost too quiet - most of the time.

Fault 1:

After the 15min light rain experienced on the way home out of Reading this evening I noticed a drip that left a trail in the dead centre of the visor - something I'd read about in a review and been reassured by the Bahnstormer sales guy had been cured in modification. Watching the drips land on the chin piece and drip down onto the chin skirt I realised that after less than an hour in a decent rain storm I'd have a wet chin, excess moisture for the 'pinlock' to deal with, and obscured vision.

Another drip ran its course in front of my nose - then stopped - and hung in mid air. Hang on, that's not running down the inside of the main visor - its running down the INSIDE of the INSIDE sun visor!

Obviously, the helmet is requiring a return. I don't expect ANY helmet to leak as it's part of my weather protection. I certainly don't expect on of this 'quality' to.

Fault 2:


The front vent is noisy - er, VERY noisy when its open and is only any good around the 5-30mph mark to keep my glasses ventilated. My HJC had the Fog City face sield fitted, which has cured all but all of the foggy glasses syndrome. It won't fit in the BMW so its back to constantly cracking the visor or opeing this vent.

Yesterday, closing the vent stopped all the noise. Today, its not fully closing and is leaving a new hisssss. Placing my finger on top of it closes it fully returning all back to the peace I enjoyed before using 12 times. Hmm.

Fault 3:


With the main visor on its second notch to just open it sufficiently to get some air it's rock steady, but lets the odd splash of rain in. With it on its first notch; no rain but it vibrates and resonates that movement through the helmet. Hmmm.

Fault 4:


I still like it and don't want to get to the point of a refund. I just want faults 1 and 2 sorted out. At least No.1.

Bloody modern day manufacturers!! Too much service and not enough quality.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Picking up Sherbert

28 February - Jammed Screen Blues

EZ-bags and Red tape