Nige Brakes Wind

Introducing Shadowfax to Nige at Taylor's Garage


We used Taylors Garage for Dilbert after strong recommendations from the instructors (Gary and John) at Paragon. Their hourly rates are reasonable and enthusiasm abounding.

I pulled in to the garage in Droxford and introduced Shadowfax to Nige who met him with some enthusiasm once we recalled my journey through the Sanya to Dilbert and rationalised the rapid succession of bikes. We discussed an inaugural service to tie in with the end of Shadowfax's warranty period due around 1,000 miles time (49,000) and all-round safety check as we had done for Dilbert.

Immediately we walked around Shadowfax's rear flank Nige was on his knees tut-tutting the rear tyre. "That's not good." He said. "That's bare in it's middle". He was right; for a bike that passed its MOT just 2000 miles ago tread was spartan about the central reaches. Given that I had checked and inflated the tyres this morning I hadn't noticed; from the side they look sweet - as BT0202s should. But from a low-rear perspective the central tread can be seen - or lack of it, in this case.

Nige checked the size information to order one in for me. We were discussing a service in 3-weeks' time. While reading off the information he mused on this being the first rear wheel strip he's done on a Pan. To help him recce, I removed the right pannier. "Holy shamulee". Nige had spotted the polishing of the rear disk where the pad's excessive run-out was causing bare metal to clasp the caliper. "Those'll need doing - just don't use your rear brake"!

Sound advice, but these are linked. When you apply the front brake the front caliper uses 3 of 3 pistons and the rear caliper uses 1 of its 3. When you apply the rear the front applies 1 of its 3, etc. Hold onto both brakes and all 6 pistons compress for full effect (like on my first day's ride with Shadowfax when I squashed m'nads on the tank near Farnham's Sainsbury's!)

"Well, if you're set to do your tyre sooner than later [we'd discussed its effect in the wet, which scared me] this had better be done, too". Nige fitted us into the diary for a few days' time; the service for 3-weeks.

It's Nige's opinion the worn pads may have passed the MOT arranged by MSG in Farnborough, but that there may have been an advisory list, which I should really have been made aware of given the nature of the wear. "Imagine you'd set off for the continent on these for a through-warranty blast and not noticed before it ripped your disc apart?" Nige was not impressed and implored me to visit MSG earlier than I had intended (as a friendly up-date on progress with Mike and Mark).

The bad bits aside, Nige was still impressed I had the "bug" sufficiently enough to invest in something "more decent". He reminded me, however, that with new rear tyres as little as 4000-miles apart, biking isn't always the cheap option. I recalled the Alpha's brakes at £900 last year's MOT and we agreed that, in light of the new evidence, although bikes are not cheap they still save me a pound of flesh over my cars!

As the day goes, this has been a dampener. However, overall the weather has been kind and the wind more westerly than south-westerly making my helmet vibration less bothersome on the way down the road from work. Cruising was a high-speed blur of passed cars and dry-line passing opportunities. I have missed the ride - to some degree, but I missed riding a great deal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Picking up Sherbert

28 February - Jammed Screen Blues

To Offenburg from beyond