On Thin Ice

Cold Reflections


The ST-owners forum ran a thread about what to look for when scanning for ice. I put my penny’s worth in. I’m quite used to worrying about riding on ice now and my fear of slipping keeps me pretty sensible much of the time. Reversing the bike in the car park at work nearly had be off when my left foot connected with the only icy puddle on the site and I near lost balance but I’ve been pretty lucky else; just the odd “whoops” as the rear steps out.

Looking cool

However, on reading more and more accounts in the forum from those succumbed to black ice the more I reason I am lucky and not skilful. A case in point was on a country road with ice all over it – I was “practicing” my skills while staunchly sticking to a regular short cut avoiding Farnham. I stopped to take a photo of the icy lane when a car driver sped around the junction I had pulled up just short of – she nearly hit me as her speed was well in excess and her attention to detail (in applying a brake) was clearly well off the standard ‘centiles. If I had been riding at that point she’d like as not have had time to read the pain in my eyes as my helmet bounced off her windscreen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Picking up Sherbert

28 February - Jammed Screen Blues

EZ-bags and Red tape