Lake Tiptoe

Floods


The weather was very British tonight; wet, with a wild squall.

By the time I arrived on the A32 and commenced re-entry for the 50mph limit at East Meon the traffic train slowed and red lights and headlights went pretty crazy up front. The nearer we approached the more detail I could make out of strange shadows erupting from the road surface in the glare of the lights; ah ha, water. Lots of it. Deep-looking water sploshing up over car bonnets!

As soon as I recognised the hazard, and already plodding at about walking pace, we entered the 300m long lake and crossed the multitude of bow waves being washed out from the traffic in it. Being dark with headlamps and tail lamps dancing around reflections off the verge and hedgerows it soon became a little disorientating and I became concerned I could feel the wash over my boots! The cars in front were down to above their sills already. All we could do was to keep moving and hope nothing untoward would go wrong right now.

Artist impression of view through the visor!

Coincidentally, I'd re-proofed the Gortex leather boots the previous evening - quite a test then, and they did us proud. Shadowfax, too; the water was above his spindles but we didn't float off under the buoyancy of all those plastics and I didn't have to stop to wade out, either.

What I will express is my relief I was constrained to following a line of slow traffic and hadn't "bothered" to start my usual overtaking run. With these halogen bulbs I'd like as not have seen the surprise lake only too late and had a wobble, or worse, a spill.

That would have been embarrassing.

I need more light!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Picking up Sherbert

28 February - Jammed Screen Blues

To Offenburg from beyond