Standing Out's Good

Conspicuality Test


I've tested the Hi-Viz jerkin on and off on my commute before. I now always wear the jerkin.

The jacket Mat's donated is a full-sleeve fluorescent one with a zip to the front and hoops of reflective tape. I've also go the mirror stickies, which really work well. I saw them really spark up under a 60W external light this evening from an impossible angle. Cool. Today was my first test in the new scheme.

Having filled with fuel I returned to the Fareham link and re-commenced my steady filter between the dual carriageway. I found drivers were far more "understanding" of my need to pass today and most made special room for me. It's not unusual for some drivers to pay the courtesy, whether because Shadowfax is a big old white Pan or because they respect the ability to filter but the noteworthiness is the number; loads. The jacket and mirror details seem to have had an effect?

On slowing for a wide mini-bus in the RH lane and checking my near-side mirror I caught movement from its front passenger door - it opened - wide! The passenger had some crazy notion to be dropped off, or to check the tyre pressures, or something and began to alight. I just managed to grip front brake and stop - mental vision panning out over my spilt form with Shadowfax sorely bruised from the impact. The guy's face was a picture! He had not only recognised a bike in his life but also copped the jacket and must have thought he'd near unseated a rozzer. Unflustered, I let him re-close his door and went about the grind of the commute.

All trip I noted a sureness that I was being seen; although a little annoying - and embarrassing - to have every car in front suddenly reduce speed to near legal limits it was also quite handy making overtaking a breeze. Of course, once past and seen as a con most had an idea to keep up or catch up, but just to know I've been seen has been a delight.

On the way home in the dark I also had the pleasure of finding no one tailgated me out of Farnham, which is a constant cause for annoyance that car drivers feel they need to prove that, were I not to have filtered past them just now then their powerful crates would have kept in front. (This feels familiar to my Alpha-driving style). Anyway, most everyone behind kept a respectful distance and I can't say more than that. I believe the combined jacket and rear cowl decor had a major influence.

So, on Day One my verdict is this: there should be no reason any driver should say, "sorry I didn't see you". I look at fellow motorcyclists on their dark bikes and think they're mad. It's been good to see other fluorescent jackets about but let me tell you this, a yellow bike is a black bike from behind. Wear Hi-Viz!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Picking up Sherbert

28 February - Jammed Screen Blues

To Offenburg from beyond