7 May 2010: Dead HID

The HID's died!


I thought I'd need to replace the original HID bulb around this time of year judging by its colour change reported in this thread before but I didn't expect it to just bloomin' die.

It didn't 'cycle'; continue to dim exponentially to nought but a spark, or give any other warning. Last night it was part of the binary star system that reflects reassuringly off the vehicles (temporarily) in front and this morning it wasn't.

Well, it lasted somewhere over 18-months of service that I reckon to have been 35-40,000 miles (need to check). That's 750hrs to 850hrs at a conservative guessed 45mph average*. I don't think that's bad given the preference I have for the HID over halogen.

Good news is that the LEDs I put in as positioning lamps are still going strong and HID No.2 is compensating well.

Of course I need a new one. Back to the original supplier at £30, I think. It'll need the side cowl taking off (due for clean and home service soon anyway) as that's the side I broke the wire retainer on during its original fitting.



*Checksum: 13-months (18-3 unemployed) commute @2.6hr per day over 21-days per month av. = 710hrs + recreational riding: call it 750hrs

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Picking up Sherbert

28 February - Jammed Screen Blues

EZ-bags and Red tape