DAS Day One

DAS


Oh, Yes. DAS is here and it's been a stirling Day 1.

Gary took me out for the day; he took me for my CBT and was a comforting voice in my ear as I trundled about on my hired Suzuki GS500 and he plodded a respectful distance behind on his ST1300 PanEuropean.

A GS500 similar to my, "Bluey"

The weather looked kind in the morning so I wore my liners, although I later stripped the jacket to the minimum once I started poncing about in the playground: usual circuits and handling experience. The 500 feels bigger, and is undoubtedly more powerful than Phut-Phut but didn't pull out any surprises. After a while, in fact, I found the riding position with touring-style handlebars and rear-set foot position a bit of a paradox and it ached my back toward late afternoon. It needs drops and a fairing.

My first ride on the road wasn't too bad. Gary helpfully reminded me to hold a defensive road position and nagged me when I went into, "advanced riding crap" that was unnecessary for the test like swinging right for junctions. I had a couple of emergency stops with wankers in cars and gave a dark grey Mondeo a start when he was tailgating me and I went for a short halt at a pedestrian crossing (girle-wanker; if I see you when I'm in my Alpha I'm putting you in a hedge).

Nick (my any-vehicle-instructor Sis) gave a phone call of encouragement around tea-break, which was very welcome. She giggled when I described the 500 and warned me about even thinking of taking Dilbert out for a spin before passing the t&%t. Bloody women; always reading my mind!

Talking girlies, I was the only (stop-it, let me finish) "mature" DAS pupil today. Samantha and Martin were on 125's for theirs and, at first, I was devastated for them both. As we met at the cafe a couple of times later, however, I am convinced young Sam is too young to have learned what fear is. She's been remarked upon for her quickness and too-low cornering already: just 1-day before test. She's been on a Honda NSR 125 sports bike for 2-years and has an old man who's into bikes sufficiently to have dropped himself and his speed-freaking daughter under the back of a car (she has a great scar, she tells us). Thank goodness for the over 21-rule! Mind you, her well-fitting diet leathers and loose top possibly had the required effect on Dave? That is, right up until the line about hair products. (Had to be there).

Not Sam, but you get Dave's problems?
[photocredit on image]

We cut about the town a fair bit and we investigated likely testing sites for the emergency stop and U-turn, each of which I fluffed as soon as Gary mentioned the "T" word. After a 2-pace-skid he made me complete another stop with both feet out of the pegs on the front wheel only. Happy.

My "Life-Savers" began to develop over the day although my placement of them justifies my unfair handle I give of, "Death-Looks". I think my real-life survival training on the roundabouts on the A31 at Farnham have put me in good stead but the mistrust of damp surfaces and corners in general, although not test-risks, were remarked on needing to get some more confidence. Gary was very fair as that's just 70-odd miles on the bike. I particularly enjoyed a blat from the top of Portsdown HIll to Wycome but again I proved only that I'm no speed freak.

Tomorrow I ride with Biff, so it'll be interesting if not a little stressful having a different take on my riding as well as loosing that reassuring voice in my ear that Gary provides. If I'm honest, his silence was worst - especially if I'd made a glaring error and he said nothing.

With late afternoon came the wind and rain but I certainly had more confidence in the GS over the SY when it came to corners. In fact the SY plain scared me when I got back onto it after the day's riding the GS as it feel so slippery under the rear wheel just looking into a bend. I'll swear I have oil or grease all over it (although it IS dry to the touch).

Physically, I was recommended a hot bath once home, which I did much to the relief of my shoulders but my hands are very sore - in part from the week's commute to be fair, but the riding position put more pressure on my little pinkies than I'm used to.

So a good day. Work to do on Life-Savers and their placement, road position (although I've about nailed Left turns), and connecting complex sequences such as mini-roundabout, speed bump, and parked car, which today combined into one of the most memorable embarrassments of the day over 2-instances of trying to move off in neutral. Hey, it is ONLY Day One!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Picking up Sherbert

28 February - Jammed Screen Blues

To Offenburg from beyond