Two Thumbs Fresh

Thumbs Up


I popped in to Smartbike at Taylors Garage in Droxford where I was touting to get the Sanya's 1000km service bits done that I couldn't do myself; the camshaft chain, valve clearance, and cylinder head nut (it's on 980Km). I also asked about the (still) uneven running and the probability of this being caused by the chain, as reported at Trevor Pope's gaff.

Bob and Nigel are the most enthusiastic pair of mechanics I have met - at least the most capable enthusiastic mechanics.



Bob met the Sanya with a whole bundle of positive comments, which was an instant delight. He praised the price and the copy of the Japanese bikes: the fact there are two wheels, and engine that'll go on and on as long as you feed it fresh oil each 500 miles (800km). At £8.50-odd for a decent 4-stroke 10-40w that's only just over £1 per 100Km on top of fuel (working out about £4.50 per commuting day of 160Km or 100 miles). Not bad.

Bob was concerned about my relating the chain being the cause of uneven running so tipped Phut-Phut over on its side stand and had me spin the rear wheel. I can do this off the centre stand - but the difference was he explained what we were not hearing or seeing in the chain. It's fine and, in fact, he was pleased I was keeping it lubricated (I'm using a Holts spray gunky stuff).

Next Bob offered to take the monster out for a "spin round the block". I was more than happy for someone to check out the running problem but also (secretly) glad of an opinion of how it rides in general, given that I have relied on 22-years' out-of-date experience and "square peg, round hole" philosophy of putting the thing together without the instructions.

So off Phut-Phut went and I realised it was the first time I've heard the engine from more than 3-feet away. Sweet, for its size. I fussed about my jacket in the bright Sun and tried not to look concerned as the car mechanics sharing the garage space busied themselves around a Volvo with expensive-looking repair implements lying neatly around it. Thank goodness I'm thinking of giving up the cars for all the trouble they cause our wallets.

Phut-phut returned with a sound akin to an engine of merit enough for me to stand a little taller with some street cred, if not kudos for my budget bike purchase. "Those indicator noises would be snipped right off if it was mine", shouted Bob through his helmet. At least the things (that sound like a truck's reversing horns) are training me to turn the buggers off.

Verdict


The jury was out. Bob recounted how he had felt the power unevenness I had described and reassured me it was nothing to do with my set up or riding. He was impressed, in fact, at my discipline for running it in. "It's tight". He said. "What?" Replied innocent I.

Apparently older engines needed to run at revs I'd be used to from driving a car because of the length of their bores - the faster the revs the more the cylinder had to travel, more momentum, and more stresses that would be created. So older 4-strokes tend to run more slowly than more modern shorter-stroke machines. Bob encouraged me to use a higher rev range ("try imagining you're a 17-year-old"), which might "free up" the rings, which he believed were the "tight" feel.

Uncertain of what the cause was (as the engine was otherwise quite pleasing) Bob called for Nigel. Luckily, I've met Bob and Nigel before, being recommended I visit them to get Dilbert serviced and repaired there by the guys at Paragon. Nigel is a classic Cafe Racer 1970's petrol head and speed freak looking bloke: quiet in manner and helpful in approach he races bikes and looks like he was born with the wind ripping past his mother's vagina at 100mph. (You may not like to think on that too long).

Nigel had a blip and recommended that the problem was most likely in the heart of the machine where a standard 125 was being restricted by being "strangled". The carb checked out fine on casula look and the only part after my spark p[lug change was to rip the metal plug case off the HT lead as soon as possible - not to cure the running problem but just because it serves no purpose except as a potential short.

"It's a manufacturing fault, really", said Nigel. "You're best speaking to the importers for an opinion and ask them to fix it". I explained how LS Imports had such a bad reputation on the Web (albeit a limited sample on which to draw) and Bob added that if I had no joy just to return it to them then.

Jury still out


There was no point in my spending out on servicing the valves and cam chain where, a. the bike is doing okay on its own and, b. Phut-Phut was suffering a manufacturing fault that might negate the cost. So that's the plan; phone LSI on Saturday and ask them to sort it.

I'll say this, for the reassurance I received on buying the Sanya in the first place, the encouragement in my maintenance of it so far, and advice to use the throttle to higher revs did my confidence a pile of benefit. And best of all, these guys who seem always to be busy in bike bits didn't charge me a penny or give me anything but good will. I want to recommend them to those in the local area, especially those like me with no idea who to trust amongst the wolves in garages down here.

As I left the plot and re-joined the A32 I made a point of carrying 2nd and 3rd gear to 7000rpm - just in case they were listening.

Dilbert will be well looked after there, I think.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Picking up Sherbert

28 February - Jammed Screen Blues

To Offenburg from beyond