Windscreen

Ducking the Vibes


After the second commute day I decided to have a try at the tall screen that had come with Dilbert. It wasn't that I wasn't enjoying the commute - far from it - but the wind turbulence in the cool Summer breeze was just a bit much on my wrists and neck after a full week in the saddle during training.

With the screen fixed on the 2nd commute evening I pulled out onto the A27/M27 and let rip for effect. The first thing I noted was that I could keep my visor up until about 40mph when cross winds ripped across my eyeballs. The second thing I noticed was how tall the screen is - the top is just on my eyeline making its refractive properties all too well marked, either driving through it or perching up out the seat to peer over it. On the sharper faster corners it was more than I really wanted to get used to.

At just over 80mph, erm...70mph (not wishing to exaggerate my keeping up with the flow of Motorway traffic, Officer) it was remarkably calm behind the screen but it felt like a woodpecker on speed was drilling in to the top of my helmet threatening to loosen my teeth. I tried ducking it but it'd make riding uncomfortable and impracticable.

I called the experiment off and span back home.

Now I'm in a quandry: the small screen is inadequate in the wind, the tall screen is too tall for my vision and had some strange effects at speed. I need to look at something else.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Picking up Sherbert

28 February - Jammed Screen Blues

To Offenburg from beyond